Chief of Staff John Kelly has the full confidence of the president.
That news comes from a senior White House official after critics suggested Kelly might be fired after two White House aides resigned over allegations of domestic abuse.
“I spoke with the president about this very issue and he wanted me to re-emphasize to everyone…that he has full confidence in his current chief of staff, General John Kelly, and he’s not actively searching for replacements,” Kellyanne Conway said Sunday.
Kelly faced criticism last week for expressing support for White House Staff Secretary Rob Porter amid allegations from his two ex-wives of physical and emotional abuse.
After a photo of one of the wives surfaced showing her with a black eye she says she received at the hand of Porter, Kelly pulled his support and Porter resigned even though he denies the allegations.
Some reports indicate Kelly offered his resignation and names were being floated as replacements.
Budget Director Mick Mulvaney, House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy and CIA Director Mike Pompeo were mentioned as replacements, but the White House dismisses accounts that Kelly offered his resignation or that the president wants to replace him.
Saturday President Trump tweeted, “People’s lives are being shattered and destroyed by a mere allegation. Some are true and some are false. Some are old and some are new. There is no recovery for someone falsely accused – life and career are gone. Is there no such thing any longer as Due Process?”
Peoples lives are being shattered and destroyed by a mere allegation. Some are true and some are false. Some are old and some are new. There is no recovery for someone falsely accused – life and career are gone. Is there no such thing any longer as Due Process?
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 10, 2018
The White House communications team will work to turn the conversation to the president’s infrastructure plan being released today.